Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Backwards Figure Eights

A brilliant idea. Neck is complaining against them. Sore from turning this way and that to weave poor misdirected Honda backwards around two posts. It started yesterday with frustrations trying to maneuveur into spaces in the Hunter-Tannersville Elementary parking lot. Lucky for country youth school's out for summer because with my elementary parking the car swayed in unpredictable patterns to passerby, passenger and driver. Resentful of our big boxy CRV, for first time I was sure shorter was an advantage and I wanted the car to shrink down. No harm, no foul, as no foul balls from Orthodox boys playing baseball behind the school, looking like they'd wandered out of Brooklyn, brought them wandering into the dangerous lot. Unlike Lot's wife, looking back I didn't turn to salt but was bitter over failures to fit between yellow parallel lines. Dad's solution to help me figure out reverse: backwards firgure eights. I'd learned to drive doing eight hindred forward eights. So we took it up a gear, shifted down into reverse and rode backwards. It's hard in reverse. I made more stylized symbols than eights or infinity signs. Infinity times I looked over first one shoulder than the other trying to correct my course from a backwards slalom. Some pleasantly plump curves rounded out into the shapely Molly lying on her side symbol but most were narrow misses of the poles not at all numerical in persuasion. As I stuttered backwards, I hoped for a reversal of fortunes for my poor, unfortunate, unsymmetrical figure. On the bright side, flying forwards feels really nice now.