Sunday, August 08, 2004

We're on vacation,

Mom says when she offers formerly forbidden soda, ice cream or allows Jesse to buy Magic cards casting spells on a Forbidden Planet. We're on vacation is an excuse for the extraordinary, but I slip on the habit of Lexington, and it cloaks me in living at home conditionning completely. Wasting days away in the hammock, river gazing, reading, and running absorb hours until the day is dried up, my eyes are dry, and I am dripping sleepiness. I've stopped building sand slides at swimming hole but sleepy sand overcomes me at an hour one never dreams during college. Going to the movies in Downtown Windham (there is no uptown or midtown) in a baggy sweatshirt, I could be 12. After the terror of returning to turning thirteen passes, it is relaxing, so little responsibility, and I like routines.

It is Sunday morning. It will be Macneice's and Stevens' Sunday Morning till dinner time. After a run I read the Sunday Times on a porch overlooking a river and its own eventual demise. China and Africa meet in trade, resevoirs are folded and hung up to dry in Cuba, thousands are killed in Sudan. Hand to hand combat so close you can smell the enemy is so far from this river valley where the worst you can imagine is the river jumping over the mountain and carrying the porch away. And even that seems unlikely as river's sky blue is lying low and in between banks safely in August.