Thursday, September 02, 2004

Country music

is more charming than country manners. And it's growing on me. Maybe. It's my roommate's favorite. The reason she got a single last year, probably. Otherwise the room (or "rum" if you're an alchie whose excuse for slurring sounds is she's from Massachusetts) is quite ship shape. Lexington looks over my desk. I look out on the morning light over the fourth floor view perpendicular (or "porpendichlore" if you're a math T.A. proficient in the foreign language of math, not Enlish) to the dawn over the front yard river. John Cusak's defiant above the bed. He holds In Your Eyes over his and mine and my head. My side of the room's black and white with a bit of infared warmth of the first blush of Wave Hill trees saying hello to spring. The only colors are my quilt named Nantucket by Bed, Bath, and Beyond and eighteen oragami cranes a birthday present from Veronica last year. The folded paper flaps in the wind and the shadows entertain the philosophers of this cave. After putting up the companion cranes of my room last year and this, Cranium and Ichabod and Rosie the Riveter, I knew I was home.

First classes filled with glasses wearing attentive pre-meds and physics majors. Taking my physic tonic will go down smoothly. Tastes alright so far as the professor seems pretty spectacular. He's already ordered people to lie down in the aisles if they want to sleep. Chairs are commodities, at least the first day. Orgo was steadier, less headier to begin, but will be better now the organization's over. Looks like I'll be living up Science Hill three days a week.

In other news, stopped by the Daily News tonight. Toured and ran into other HM's, of course. The walls are plastered with old papers dating way back, records of scandals and triumphs and few Harvard-Yale wins. There's a board room gothic and guarded by the portrait of former editor and founder of Time. Building's interior just as beautiful as on set in Gilmore Girls. Maybe I will write.