Wednesday, September 08, 2004

I think I'm on an intellectual high.

I've found the right classes and fallen for them, tripped upwards, and landed in a handstand with my hair falling in my face and my feet firmly in heady atmosphere. I'm walking on air. I'm upside down. All the blood rushes to my head. I think faster and stay on my toes for Patterson's questions and physics professor's lecture interrogations to random seat number maybe mine.

I think I'm finally set on a schedule. I'll wear a routine Monday to Friday and tread down the already stooped steps of SSS and Science Hill to Linsly-Chit. Chaucer was phenomenal this morning. Between brilliant professor, an intimidatingly bright boy, and a General Prologue to critiquing yet finding good in individuals, the hour and fifteen of class passed too quickly.

After five days of shop till you drop academics, stressing about seminars and trying to find a fourth class, I've found five. "Shopping" period means more classes and crisscrossing campus, blue book in hand, standing in the back of lectures and evaluating the professor, the tone, the topic and whether it's reasonable or feasable to go from Sterling Chemistry Lab down to Luce Hall up to Sloane Physics Lab and back to Sterling with barely a break for a bite between 9:30 and 5. But I'm not doing that. I'm taking Physics and Orgo of course. English 125, Major English Poets for the major. And Intro to International Relations for what I need to know about the world and don't and a sweet seminar called Comparative Political Economies with eight people and an excited professor. I also don't have to wake till 11:30 Tuesday and Thursdays. Today I sat in the Stiles dining hall sipping tea and a scone relaxedly re-reading before English. Tonight off to finish problem sets before it turns too much into tomorrow morning.