Sunday, September 12, 2004

It's live jazzing in my window.

There's a pianist and saxophone player jamming downstairs at La Piazza, the Italian restaurant from which drifts of bacon, garlic, salmon and music waft up four floors in my window and onto my desk. I tossed a red rose down. I'm accompanying the mucisians with a Yankee game and physics problems. Better than before I understand exactly what is involved in the if you want to row straight across a river and the current is moving at so many meters per second too fast, which direction do you point the boat questions. But the textbook forgets important factors. Like what if you're speed is slowed by your four seat being in a bad mood and refusing to pull on her oar hard enough or if you have to correct your course constantly to starboard because your bow seat is too short and her pair partner brings the boat around every stroke. I don't miss being a cox.