Thursday, April 21, 2005

Dr. Schiller's 2nd Law of Reading

He stole it. Lifted Look for Repetition with Variation right out of Peter Brooks' Freud's Masterplot. "Repeating (with variation)" is the theme. Enjoyed writing my essay too much. All my favorite characters showed up to frolic in the playground that was my paper till they turned it into a circus. Three-ring. Sisyphus and Stevens and Dr. Schiller, twice.

Stil shuddering from the last lecture. Last class of sophomore year, so strange. Nostalgia is outlawed by the decree of three papers and four finals, but it is hard to worry when nature's first green is gold and ethics professor proved egoism is a hoax and language speaks the truth about speech. That speech can communicate, but there's something supplemental that always says things you do not mean. "You can't possibly mean what you say," said Professor Fry. I laughed. "It is impossible to say just what I mean!" Prufrock gasped. Profoundly disturbing and exciting how language haunts speech. I enjoy the recourse to the unintentional. And I don't want to let go of my classes, this state of wonder and wrestling with brilliance.