Thursday, September 01, 2005

Mind Candy

Yesterday, James Dean fell off my wall twice. Pages of paper curled and just breathing wrung water drops out of the air to condensce on surface of skin. After the rain, the day was heavier and the thick medium of Wednesday required extra enthalpy to move through. First day of classes. Which were brilliant. Absolutely lustrous despite dulling atmosphere. I think I smiled for an hour and fifteen minutes. Neurobiology was illuminating itself but also backlit by glow of summer research. Taught by two professors, the lecturer of yesterday, Haig Keshishian, was terrific. He's leaving us for a month with a teacher who's just decent, but the material will make up for any flaws in the tailor, hopefully. Then the afternoon, a two hour seminar. Romantic literature and painting. The professor gave the best lecture I have ever sat for at Yale last year and I was excited to see how he workied in section. Apparently others were curious too. There were sixty signatures on a page for twenty places in the seminar. Fry announced first priority would be accorded to junior English majors. And finally, I felt perfect. I am not a sophmore, not a non-major trying to squeeze in. I am completely qualified. And that is how I knew it was going to be our year.